Christmas is days away; don’t let the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping deter your from considering these essential safety tips. OCH Pediatrician Dr. Christopher Spinelli shares a few holiday hazards caused by common Christmas gifts and gadgets this season.
With Christmas around the corner, everyone is busy buying presents for friends and family. Before purchasing, don’t forget to consider the small children in your home. In 2010, an estimated 181,500 toy-related injuries (in children under age 14 years old) were treated in hospital emergency rooms in the United States.
- It’s very easy for children to choke on small toys and their parts. Even button batteries used to power gifts given to teenagers or adults could be of danger; these can cause serious damage if swallowed. If you do think your child has swallowed a button battery, don’t wait around! Take your child immediately to the ER for evaluation.
- Choking on cellophane is also a danger to watch out for; make sure to monitor what happens to the wrappers on CD’s and DVD cases.
FALLING & TRIPPING HAZARDS
- Children can also fall off riding toys. If any of the toys have wheels and they are playing with them in the house, make sure children are clear of the stairs. Using indoor gates will help prevent children from harm.
Christmas morning is a time of excitement and wonder, simple precautions such as these will ensure your family’s holiday morning is both magical and safe for everyone involved. Merry Christmas!
Christopher Spinelli DO, FAAP, is a pediatrician at the OCH Northside Clinic in Springfield, MO. Dr. Spinelli is also currently a Major in the United States Air Force Reserve. After completing an undergraduate degree from Truman State University, Dr. Spinelli graduated from Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine and completed his Pediatric residency at Keesler Medical Center in Biloxi, MS.